Poha is flattened rice and a good source of carbs. It is one of the best breakfast options in India. Poha is a one-pot easy-to-make recipe and it is filling as well.
Poha recipe has mainly two variants in India one is the Maharashtrian way other is the Madhya Pradesh way which is famous in Indore, Ujjain, and Gwalior. So the recipe below is the Indori way of making it. It is tasty and healthy as well.
|Oil 1 tablespoon|
|Poha 11/2 cup|
|Onions 1 chopped|
|Green chillies 2 chopped|
|Peanuts 20 grams|
|Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon.|
|Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon|
|Fennel seeds 1 teaspoon|
|Coriander seeds 1 teaspoon|
|Salt 1 ½ or to taste|
|Sugar 2 teaspoon|
|Coriander leaves 1 tablespoon|
- Wash poha at least 3 times and throw the water and then soak it in fresh water for 5 minutes. Then strain poha and keep aside.
- Now take a pan heat some oil and quick fry the peanuts and take them off(don’t over fry them it will get burn)
- Now take a little oil in medium heat now add mustard, fennel, cumin and coriander seeds respectively now add chopped onions and green chillies (don’t let onions turn golden just sweat them ).
- And then add the poha into the pan quickly add salt and sugar, mix it up add close the lid of pan.
- After 1 minute open the lid mix poha, add lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- give it a quick mix, cover the lid and turn off the heat and let it cover 2-3 minutes more, after 2-3 minutes open it and mix the peanuts we fried before and our delicious poha is ready.
- Serve it with sev or pomegranate seeds.
Quick knows Pro tips:-
- Don’t let poha dry till the time you are sauteing your onions and other things. If you see poha is drying them splash some water to it to make is moist. Remember the more moist your poha is at beginning end result will be delicious.
- Wanna make it more healthy add some veggies or sprouts of your choice after sauté of onions and make it super healthy.
- After poha is ready transfer it to a fresh bowl, never keep the poha in the utensil you cook it. It will make your poha crispy from down as the cookware remains hot for some time.
What makes poha a good breakfast option!
- Easy to make
- Carbs to make you full till lunch
- Instant energy boost cause of simple carbs.
- One pot meal
- Can make it healthier by adding veggies and sprouts in it.
Note: Kandha Poha, batata Poha, singdana poha, sprouts poha etc. are Not very different they just contain any one specific ingredient like kandha(onion), batata ( potato), singhdana(peanuts) and many more. just add any of them and enjoy your favourite type of Poha